The Newman Program at Missouri University of Science and Technology began in 1953 by Monsignor Kaiser as a weekly discussion group for Catholic students. From 1953 to 1976, students and faculty members met at St. Patrick Church. In 1967, a house was purchased for a Newman Center and it was decided that the Associate Pastor of St. Patrick Parish would also serve as Newman Director. In 1986 the Newman Center moved closer to St. Patrick Parish, on Vichy Road. Today the Newman Center is housed in a modern facility across the street from St. Patrick school on Vichy road.
The Newman Center at Missouri S&T is named after Blessed John Henry Newman (1801–1890). Newman, a scholar and ordained clergyman of the Church of England who later converted to Catholicism and was later ordained a Catholic priest and later bishop, lectured, and wrote extensively on the role and purpose of a University. His brilliance and deep faith was an inspiration to Catholics throughout the world. Newman’s respect for the life of learning was enhanced by his Christian faith. He believed learning was a catalyst for the spiritual journey. Catholic Campus Ministry centers at public universities across the country are frequently named after Cardinal Newman.
Currently, the Cardinal Newman Catholic Campus Ministry Center serves over 1,000 Catholic students, staff, and faculty at Missouri S&T and is a special ministry of St. Patrick Parish.
THE NEWMAN CENTER
The Newman Center is located just north of campus, on the walkway between the Electrical Engineering building (Emmerson Hall) and Thomas Jefferson Hall.
Our address is:
1607 N Rolla Street
Rolla, MO 65401
Please send mail to:
Rolla, MO 65402